Question

TimothyPMore

credit card utilization is high
I have high utilization because I have low credit limits. I have enough income to have more debt but intentionally kept my debt low. Now I want to buy a house and have a bad credit score. (My payments are <1% of my monthly income. Also since until a few years ago I only use my debit card my credit history is only about two years. If I get more credit cards it will lower my utilization but also decrease my age of credit history. What is the best path?

If you want the fastest solution to better credit here: pay off your current card debt

If you apply for more cards:

1. You add hard inquiries (lowers score)
  2. Your Average Age of Accounts decreases (lowers score)
  3. If you add a lot of cards fast, it's a huge red flag to lenders 
  4. You add more revolving credit to your accounts and unless you have loans to back it up, that could decrease score

However, if you don't mind the wait, you would take an initial hit to your credit and then bring it up fairly fast with having more accounts that would increase average age of accounts in the long run, and you'd have an extensive line of credit for the future. But, you would take an early hit on credit for a short while (12 months - 2 years).

I had the same problem a couple of months ago.  I bought a new home 3 yrs ago, financed a car and opend up some crappy cards with low limits.  Which wasn't working since they were always carrying high utilizations.  Just paid all the cards off & my score jumped up!  Just purchased the new car I really wanted & a new bike.  Got 4 new cc's with generous CL's.  CK's recommenations. (BOA, Chase, Amex everyday Blue & Discover it.  I know I will take a hit on my score but in the long run, I believe it's the only way to get your score over 800 & as close to 850 as possible.