Question

2pennies

Credit card that has been in good standing for past 2 years, still listed as NEGATIVE
I opened a Discover card account in 2007. I closed it around 2009 with a balance that i wanted to keep and make monthly payments on to show positively on my credit history. In the 6 years I've had the account, I have missed 6 payments with none being more than 30 days late.

I had some Dept. of Education loan accounts reported in error on my account which adversely affected my credit score when I applied for financing on a new car. As I went about filing the disputes on my credit reports, I noticed that my discover financial account is listed as an "adverse" or "negative" account.

After calling TransUnion to find out why, the rep told me that the 6 late payments made the account appear as negative. However, she told me to call Discover to ask if they could A. Remove some late payments from my account because of my good standing over the past 16 months or B. Ask if Discover could only report the past 16 months of payments.

Discover told me that there is nothing they can -or in my opinion, were willing- to do to help me.

Is there any way I can get this account back to positive or at least have some of the negative payments deleted since I've been making early payments for the past year and a half??? Please Help!

Most Helpful Response

It's your history!

The Fair Credit Reporting Act is a federal regulation that requires all credit transactions be reported, and they cannot be removed.  Those late payments created the negative on your report and it doesn't matter if they are 30 days or even one day, they were not paid before the due date.  These will drop off after 7 years from date of last payment on the account.

Making all credit payments on time is one of the most important things in having a good credit score.  The positives you build up now will lessen the "sting" of the negative remarks over time until they fall off, but there is no accelerating the process.  Sorry.