Question

amymartinez2009

Credit card payoff times
I just got my first credit card and understand about using less than 20%. My question is regarding the "closing". It might sound dumb but I just want to clarify, Do I pay it off before or after the bill comes in? I have a 300 limit and I am going to use it to pay the same bill ($95) every month since i have that in my budget already. Also, how much will my score increase by using the card this way?

Most Helpful Response

The best way to pay

No matter what amount of the limit you use, pay the card off each month.  Since you have a low limit right now it should be fairly easy to stay on budget. 

I use my online banking bill pay for all my credit cards.  I have the e-bill sent to my bank through their online bill pay.  I have set up mine so that it pays the balance in full 5 days before the due date. That gives me about 2 weeks from the time the bill comes in to make sure the funds are there.  Never miss a payment and the balance is always paid off.  This way I never miss a payment or get caught short. 

Hope that helps

amymartinez2009

Thank you so much for helping. I know I am able to request an increase over time but I dont really want to do that. Would it actually be a good idea since the whole purpose is to raise my credit score or will it hurt it?

What you wanna do is to not let your statement cut with a balance higher than 30% of your actual limit. So step one is learning when your statement cuts every month. Once you know that info just make sure your balance is less than 30% of your available credit line before it cuts. Pay the balance in full every month to avoid interest. Over time with a good history of on time payments it will help increase your score. But it takes time, it's not an overnight thing.

amymartinez2009

Thank you for helping. Is interest included in the bill every month?