Question

DeeDee3974

Credit card pay off
I want to pay off my credit cards but the interest rates keep eating up any thing I've already paid on it and I've just been denied a possible balance transfer. So what are my options now?

Most Helpful Response

The best ways to get a card paid off are to increase the size of the payments you make and/or increase the number of payments you make in a month. Since you said the interest keeps eating up what you pay, you must have a high interest rate and/or are making just the minimum payment.  Make your payments as large as you can comfortably afford and don't make any more charges on the card otherwise you are going to be paying on this for a very long time.

If you're unable to make extra payments to get the prinipal paid down, you can ask the credit card company to freeze the credit so the card can't be used anymore.  Ask them if they'll reduce the interest rate to 4%. 

If they won't do that, then you may wish to contact a credit negotiation company such as Lexington Law. I'm sure there are other companies out there too.  I had an instance where 2 companies were charging me 29% and 39% interest, and I could never get ahead. Lexington Law got the rates reduced to 4% and 6% and got me on a structured monthly settlement on the closed accounts.