Question

kbasham369

Credit Card Inactivity during Military Training?
Hello,
I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate who has had 1 open credit card for 3 years now with "excellent" credit. I pay the balance in full every month, but I'll be leaving for Army Basic then Officer School and will not be able to make charges or pay it off ( or have somebody do it on my behalf) for the next six months. My credit card will reflect a $0 balance and no payments consecutively for the next six months. Will this lower my credit score?

If you have some balance remaining on your card and you want to pay it off whithout you being there to monitor it then put the payment on auto pay or some recurring payment system. If you have no balance as of now, then call the company and see if they provide you with an inactivity period (which is the time after which the card issuer will close the card due to inactivity). If its more than 6 months, you'll be fine but if its less than 6 months then you'll have to let the issuer know the inactivity period.