Question

amgr1992

credit card fail
My ex had put me as a card holder on his credit card through chase, I spent 200 on the card and then he COMPLETELY maxed the card out. Bever havibg a credit card before I didn't know that I would be affected because of his spending addiction and now I'm suffering because of it. I can't build any credit and I really need to. What, if anything, can I do about this?

Most Helpful Response

If you were only an authorized user on the card and not a joint holder, then you can contact the credit bureaus and tell them to remove the account from your reports as you are no longer an authorized user on the card. No big deal there if you were only an authorized user, should be very easy to get removed. You will want to spend some time reading all that you can on how to build and maintain good credit, there is a lot of info on this site and across the internet as well. You may need to start with a Secured credit card depending on your situation. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. All of the credit bureaus have websites with contact info, Transunion, Equifax and Experian.

Good advice.

I had some similar incidents with an ex.  She fraudulently opened some cards in my name and on some others in her name she put me as an auth user.

The authorized user stuff is easy to handle.   Call that card company and have your name removed from the card.  Then contact the bureaus and request that data be deleted from your credit.

If your ex added you as a joint account holder...you're in for a difficult battle to disassociate yourself from that account.  Better get your ducks in a row and be able to prove that you had not knowledge and did not consent to that action in your name.