Question

mikensay

Court judgement reporting
Long story short, I hired a contractor for house remodel. Bid came in at 70K, 3 months. He ended up taking 9 months costing me 130k. I had to hire someone else to finish some of his less than stellar work. His final bill came in with a project management fee and I refused to pay him any more money. I had already paid 122K. We went to court and judged basically said you've got an agreement, you must pay. So I reluctantly did. Why does this affect my credit. We had a dispute, got a decision and I paid it right then. I don't see how this should affect my credit score given that we were at an impasse. Can I get this removed? If not, will it be on my credit for 7-10 years?

The only way I see a judge approving the increased judgement amount, is if you signed change orders. If your original signed agreement stated 70k, the contractor must have received some written documentation of your approval of the increased amounts.

Write a letter to the court address on your judgement documentation, requesting removal along with proof the judgement was paid. You can file a "direct dispute" through this website on your Equifax report. 

I would file a complaint against the contractor, with the contactors licensing board in your state and  the Better Business Bureau. Blog your displeasure with the contractor on Angie's List and other home advisor websites.  Most contractors are afraid of losing their good ratings on these sites. I personally filed a complaint against a contractor on the state licensing board in my state, and the contractor lost his license and couldn't work (legally) for 6 months.

mindjazz

Transunion is the reporting agency with direct dispute capability. Not Equifax.

mikensay

I won't go into how incredibly screwed I feel I got and how much I was warned that court is for a decision not justice.  It just irritates me.  All that aside I'm focused on my credit.  So the judgement came on my credit report and is stated as paid..all in the same transaction.  looking for education, are you saying that if I write a letter to the courts that it has been paid, they'd have it removed?   I was under the impression that the courts don't necessarily file anything but that there are companies that sell this public information to credit companies.  

All that being said, If I do a direct dispute, how do I handle this given that I've been sued and paid the judgement and it states it accurately.  I just don't see how this should affect my credit.  I had a dispute with contractor and we needed it resolved. I'm not a deadbeat and despite how wrong I think the judge was I did not avoid the judgement.