Question

Jrex101

Could I dispute this collection?
I've been helping my parents repair their credit recently, and I came across one collection that I'm not sure about. Long story short, we had a dog about eight or ten years ago who died of Valley Fever. We went to a veterinarian before he passed, and they told us that the only way they'd be able to save our dog was to opt-in to their benefits program. $365 dollars later, our dog was never treated for Valley Fever (Diflucan or any other antifungal was never prescribed. He was given subcutaneous fluids to keep him hydrated before my parents paid the fee, but afterwards, no treatment at all), and he ended up passing away. Obviously, my parents are refusing to pay simply out of principle, but I was wondering if disputing this collection would turn out in our favor with the credit bureau (Eq), and if so, how exactly should I phrase the reasoning behind the dispute? Thanks.

If that debt is more than 6 years old, the Statute of Limitations on Collections may have expired. Look that up since it varies by state.  If it is more than 7 years old, it should have dropped off their credit report.  The dispute reason could be SOL has expired.