Cosigners, Student Loans and Bankruptcy.
I have a situation I'm not sure what to do with.

Back in 2005 my Uncle co-signed a private student loan (Sallie Mae/Navient) for me as the student. He is now in financial trouble to the point where he might file for bankruptcy. I'm unsure what that means for me.

In the past I had considered doing a cosigner release for multiple reasons but was never able to because according to Sallie Mae/Navient I was not the primary borrower just the student listed for the loan (The loan comes up on my credit report, check disbursed was only in his name I believe). I actually am unable to do anything with the loan/account because I am not considered according to their representatives, the primary borrower is the only one that can take any action on the loan. If you read their documentation for cosigner release (or any other request) the primary borrower is made to sound as if it should be the student (as they are the ones applying).

In short, if my uncle files for bankruptcy what would happen with this loan? Do I need to take special actions in this process? I would assume that I would de facto become responsible for it since it appears on my credit report but I've never been able to do anything with it (other than submit payment) making me think that we are not "equally" responsible for the debt (I know that's not the best way to say that). It seems to me that the way this is set up is more like I'm a cosigner for a loan he took on rather than they other way around. Am I missing something here?