Question

jaynh

Continous Dispute
When I was about 16 or 17, I got into a car accident that resulted in having me taken via ambulance to a local hospital. When I was about 19, which is about 3 years ago, I tried applying for my first college credit card, but was denied. I obtained a free copy of my credit report and saw that I had a collection from the ambulance company that brought me to the hospital that day. My banker told me that I had to dispute this because it was while I was under 18 and that it shouldn't have been on my credit report in the first place. I disputed it and it came off my credit report and I was approved for my college credit card. Fast forward to last year; I try applying for my 2nd credit card. I know that I am paying all of my bills on time and that I am under my credit limit for my first card, yet I'm denied again. I check my credit report again and I see that the same collection is on my credit report, AGAIN. I dispute it again, by myself, since I remember how my banker did it last time, and it is still on my credit report. What can I do to get this off my credit report for good? It's not supposed to be on there in the first place.

Write a letter to all three credit bureaus and the collector and tell them you are not liable for this account because you were a minor when the debt was incurred.  You can also file a complaint online with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at www.consumerfinance.gov, they may be able to help as well and it is free to you.  Keep at it, they are sneaky buggers!