Question

Everynameisalreadyused

Conned by Conns
I applied online at Conns.com for a credit card, (I thought.) I saw a TV ad that said they try to approve everyone and thought that another credit account under my belt would improve my credit. After applying online, I received a call from them telling me that it was not a credit card account but a loan company type store business and and that I had to purchase something to be approved, because my credit was marginal. (I was just approved at PayPal 2 days ago for $1000 and at US Bank for $2000 limits with in the last month) He said that I HAD to purchase something or my credit score would take a "Hard Hit" that would last on my credit for 2 years. That I had to purchase something to be approved and not buying would constitute a denial of credit that would reduce my credit score. I said I wanted them to remove my application and he said once you apply online that it was a Done Deal. I said I felt pressured and hung up. This feels like EXTORTION. What can I do???

Most Helpful Response

Furniture stores are the worst.

They don't offer real credit and don't report to the credit bureaus. 

They may be right about a hard hit on your credit report but that shouldn't have an effect for long. It's better than buying crummy furniture you don't want and not have it benifit your score. 

You have the right to change your mind. Don't feel pressured. You'll be better off in the long run. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.I feel more calm about it now.  I guess I'll just take what comes.  Thank you again. Taylor