Question

ATLGAL1212

Concerned About Closed Credit Cards Dropping off of my Report
I have a a few closed credit cards on my report. One of them just dropped off after the 7 year mark and dropped my score 27 points. I have a couple other cards that will be reaching 7 years this year. I'm very concerned about these dropping off and lowering my score even more because of decreased accounts open/closed overall. I don't want to run around opening credit cards dropping my score still because of inquiries. Would re-opening any of the other closed accounts to keep them on my report. Would that be the best course of action to keep my score from dropping?

Whats causing the drop

is most likely the age of accounts. as old accounts drop off they stop reporting so the age of your history is shorter.

Generally yo can not go back and re-open old accounts, but you can re-apply to the creditors for a new account.

The Inquiry for a new account would have less impact on your score and affects your score for a shorter period of time. 

Rule of thumb: you want to have Open credit accounts equal to one years income.