Question

Spikedx

Concern over an "open" account in collections.
Some concern, I have an account in collections for ~800usd I have no idea where it is from. I recently leased my first car and am trying to establish credit. I have a feeling it may be from medical bills from quite some time ago but my insurance company may not have picked it up because I couldn't afford the copay.

Anyway I've been doing a lot of research and I'm worried about even contacting the collection company due to the fact they could turn around and sue me ect. I'm trying to figure out what steps I should take and the easiest way to settle and get it removed from my report as a whole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Get your credit reports.

First thing you want to do is find out for sure if this is your debt or is it one of the numerous mistakes found on credit reports.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes over all erroneous entries (not my account, wrong address, etc) with the credit bureau reporting it.  They have to oinvestigate and either verify or delete the disputed item.

You do not want to call the company.  For any legal or financial issues, you want all contracts or negotiations in writing, which you will keep until they are absolutely not needed.  I'll be keeping this on my notifications list just in case you find it is your debt, then we'll go from there.

Hope this helps.