Question

tspencer0618

Company Lies About "Hard Credit Check"
I work in a shopping mall seasonally and was repeatedly approached from a sales associate from Kay Jewelry store to open up a line of credit with them to help meet their credit card quotas. I told the individual that I would be happy to help their company but I already have 4 credit inquiries in the past year and I do not want to add anymore. The associate from Kay claimed they manage all of their store credit and they do not perform a hard credit check and nothing will show on your report. I asked multiple times to be sure i understood them correctly "so this would not be a hard credit check that will show up on my credit report as an inquiry"...the associate confidently assured me nothing would show on my report with every repeated question.
I was approved for a line of credit which i had no intention of using, and when i got home i checked credit karma and found not only was there a hard credit inquiry on my account but the inquiry would remain on my report for 2 years!
How can I handle this situation, can I get this inquiry off my report? Is it legal for Kay Jewlery to lie about the credit check?

Most Helpful Response

Win Win- Solution

Update

I called the companies corporate number and was able to have the inquiry removed from my report, the salesman was coached on credit and I learned a very valuable lesson. The company also left my line of credit open to help my credit in the future. Thank you for the advice!

I don't see much that you could do about it, but I wouldn't worry about it, five inquiries on your reports is not terrible. Even though inquiries last for two years they only cause slight damage for a year. It depends on the rest of your overall credit profile, but chances are, this added account will do more good for you than the damage of the inquiry.

The sales associate apparently does not understand anything about inquiries.  But inquiries are not a big thing on credit reports unless you have a bunch of them in a short time (like when buying a car).  The credit limit on the card will help your score and likely won't be closed for inactivity for some time, so just lock it up someplace safe and don't worry about it.  Just only apply for cards you truly want in the future.  Someone's "quota" is their problem, not yours.