Question

ack314

Combining credit card limits?
I have multiple cards from a single bank- some unused. I suppose I should close the unused ones, but would the bank allow me to combine the credit limits into one large one, or will I just lose the credit line amount of whichever card(s) I close out?

Most Helpful Response

You will lose both the credit lines and the history of any accounts you close, so if they are good accounts, keep them open; use them once or twice a year to keep them "alive".  If you are trying to get a higher credit limit, contact the creditors of the cards you have and see if they are willing to increase your limit.  You could also apply for a new credit card with higher limit, but without seeing your complete credit report, I can't say if that would help or hurt you.  Any time you apply for credit that is an inquiry, and inquiries do cause a small hit on your credit score.  But on the other hand, a higher credit limit would help your score.  Not an easy question to answer, sorry.  If you want more information, go to www.credit.about.com and do some reading.  Best of luck!

ack314

I did apply for a new card with a higher limit but the limit wasn't high enough- I suspect because of all these other accounts... Which is what prompted me to ask this question in the first place!

Thanks.