Question

Vincenzzzo

Collector verbally agrees to remove from credit report, refuses to send deletion letter
I have a $30 medical collection from 2011 that I do not know of, and I called the collector and they said they remove all paid debts from credit scores after 30 days.

I stated that due to the hassle of having to dispute the debt with the major Bureaus and the time and stress it would cause me, I would be willing to pay the thirty dollars if they removed it from my credit report as I do not owe the debt but it would save me the hassle of having to go through the dispute process.

they refused to send me a letter stating they would remove it from my credit score. They also stated that they called me in July of 2011 and I also refused to pay the debt then. I asked what they have recorded as why I refused to pay the debt, and they said they do not have it recorded.

It ended with me saying that I will have to pursue the dispute route if they refuse to send me a signed letter, and they said have a good day.

Is disputing the best route from here? I've read do not trust verbal communication, so even though I'd like to just pay the debt and have them delete it and take them for their word, I do not wish to reset 7 years.

I'm looking to buy a home in a few years and this turns 4 years on record in July, so if it comes down to it I'll continue to not pay the debt and have it removed in 3 years.

If it's NOT your debt, why pay?!?!

An intelligent person will not pay a debt that is not theirs and will make sure that any negotiations they make with a collection agency are in writing so they have proof of all communications.  The people most likely to be speaking to you on the phone have no authority to make changes and follow a specific script to cover the coinversation.  If you are not willing to put forth the effort to make certain the bill is yours or file a dispute (again, in writing) if it is not yours, you are not ready to buy a home.  I do suggest reading the articles provided by this site because the purpose of Credit Karma is to teach people about how credit works and how to improve theirs.   Until you have this knkowledge, you are in no condition to take  on a mortgage.

Vincenzzzo

This debt is not mine, but what's concerning is the tens of thousands of dollars (and the credit score hit) that this has for future credit (mortgage, car loan, etc.).

I have read the articles on the site as they have been what's guided me to raise the concern to the CA.

It does appear that my next step is to file a dispute I suppose. Also, has anyone here used Lexington Law?