Question

craney1233

Collector disputing my credit bureau dispute
Early last month I disputed a negative report on all of three of my credit reports that I believe is there in error. I then received a letter from the collection agency essentially disputing my dispute. They asked for me to send them documents supporting my claim, which of course I don't have any of, since the report was made in error. All three bureaus have since ruled in my favor and deleted the item. What I want to know is, a) since I have yet to reply to the collector (it has not yet passed the 30 days they asked me to reply in) do I need to worry about this coming back to haunt me despite the rulings in my favor, and b) were they even allowed to contact me while I was in dispute with the credit bureaus?

I'm going to take the last question first, as its the easiest.   Yes, the creditor can contact you while you dispute with the credit bureau. Any time you are reflecting as having a debt with a company, they may contact you.  the dispute with the bureau is not a legal binding thing like a court where the other attorney can't communicate with you without the courts approval.  You did not indicate how the report was in error, thus, I have nothing to offer on your communication with the collector.  Although, if the debt is yours, communicate and payment will ensure it stays off future reports.   While this entry was removed, its easy for the creditor to refile and/or transfer your file to another collector who may file again.   Thus, back to the question "How was it in error?"    If it was not your account, you merely refer the collector to validat the debt, it would be their job to contact whoever they received it from to validate the debt. It is not your job to validate the debt.   If it was paid timely and should not have been reported as past due, then your proof of payment would be sufficient.   You always have the right to ask that the credit validate the debt is indeed yours.