Question

plm2012

collections that are not owed
I show a collections on my credit report. When I called the company, I was told, I owed nothing. How do I get it off my report as owing.

File a dispute

You can do that at the Credit Bureaus website for free.  

or you can mail a "Validation Letter" Which will require them to confirm that the collector has the legal right to pursue the account. 

Always deal with the Credit Bureaus first. Never contact collection accounts directly, specially if you are not sure who they are or if you know the info is inacurate. It resets the collections of the account and they can  start actively pursuing you to try and collect for another 7 years.