Question

leprof74

Collections question
I just received a collections letter from a company who says they represent Merrick Bank.
Merrick Bank no longer appears on my credit report and I am confident I paid that account off either through settlement or another collections agency.
If it is not on my Experian credit report any longer then this request is not valid. Correct?
How do I handle it?

Collections

Many things could have happened here. Merrick Bank could have charged the account off and sold it to a third party collector or a "junk debt" buyer. It is also possible that you did pay it off and that is why Merrick no longer appears and they sold a paid debt to a collector. Dispute the item immediately and request that they validate the debt. Also look up onlline whether that collector is licensed to even collect in your state. I can send you a link for a letter I use if you so want it. It has worked for me, Good Luck!

In addition, search your bank records for proof you paid it off.  If and when you find that, send copies to the bureau and the bank.