Question

Michaele00

Collections Help Please!
I'm newly 19, but when I was under 18, I had a major surgery. My parents' credit is still suffering under the weight of that, but there's now a charge on Credit Karma that is in collections from the surgery, and it's dragging down my credit score. It's small enough that I could pay it off myself. My father called the Collections Agency, and they told them they didn't have an account under my name, that everything was still under my father's name and nothing should be showing up on my name. The account was opened Mar 17, 2015, and was last reported Jul 19, 2015. I don't know how to go about paying off this debt and/or disputing it and/or getting it removed. My parents have terrible, horrible credit, so I don't want to follow in their footsteps and wait for it to age off of my account. Someone please help me figure out the best course of action!

If you don't want to have horrible credit then you need to start READING!!!!

Read everything that you can about credit, so you can make all the right choices.

As for the collection at hand, I would dispute it with the credit bureaus on the grounds that you were a minor at the time of the service.

Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites with contact info and dispute instructions.