Question

Duck8430

Collections fee for condo maintenance fees
Over 20 years ago, I purchased one of the last time-share condos where deeds were given to the time-share owners. When illness prevented me from using the condo for several years, I deeded the condo back to the time-share company. This was done with the understanding that I no longer had time-share ownership and ownership maintenance fees. I noticed on my credit report that Meridian Financial has turned over a debt of over $4000 for condo fees. How can I get this straightened out and removed from my credit report? The time-share company is no longer in business.

Most Helpful Response

I would write to all three credit bureaus and ask them to verify this account, you don't believe that you owe this money.  Ask for documentation proving that you owe this debt.  You can also send the same letter to Meridian Financial and/or the current collector.  See what they send back and/or if the bureaus delete the account.  If the original creditor is no longer is business, you may catch a break and they won't be able to verify anything.  If you have proof that you don't owe it (i.e. copy of deed), hold onto it and send it with second letter, if needed.  You may have to repeat this process a few times.  You can also file complaint online with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (I've heard they actually get results) at www.consumerfinance.gov.  Best of luck!

Duck8430

Thank you .  I will definitely take your advice. Have a great day.

Validation letter

find a template on line, Google it. 
Send this to the Credit reporting agency or agencies that are showing the account.

This will force the creditor to prove that you are the responsible party for the bill.  If you have any paperwork showing the date you released the property back to the time share, I would include copies. 

Good luck!

Duck8430

Thank you very much.  I didn't realize I could find a template on line to help in this situation.  Have a great day.