Question

BallMomCredit

Collections & Charge Offs
COLLECTIONS / CHARGE OFFS
I have 5 items showing up in collections.
4 are medical (July 2010, Aug 2014, Dec 2014, Nov 2015)
1 is from an old apartment (Aug 2012)
I know medical is looked at differently.
I know more than 2 years old doesn't affect your credit as much. The Nov 2015 is the largest balance unfortunately.
I know they drop off after 7 years, so the July 2010 should drop off soon.
I was thinking about paying the smallest 2 balances if the collection agency agrees to remove them from my credit report. (Dec 2014 & Aug 2012).
I do not have the funds to take care of everything.
Which ones should I take care of?

Did you read the articles here so you could leartn about the Statute of limitations on Collections and how to negotiate a 'pay for delete' agreement? Those are essential skills you can use for the rest of your life, if you take the time to learn,as I did.

With the Exception of a couple scoring models, medical debt is NOT looked at differently, it hurts you just as bad as any other collection with most scoring systems.

The July 2010 collection could be removed now with "early exclusion". (A request to the credit bureaus to remove it). While on the phone ask if any other ones can be removed, they will probably say no, but it's worth a shot.

Which ever accounts that you can afford to pay and can get a "pay for delete agreement" on is where you should start. Also read up on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as it will be good to know if you are dealing with debt collectors. They often violate the law and you can sometimes get the account removed with the help of a FDCPA attorney.