Question

mnorco

Collections as a minor
Hello. I just had a quick questions about a collections account. The account is a bank account from when I was 15 that was primarily under my mother's name. Now, 7 years later a debt collector called to collect a debt from this account. Unaware of the debt, I called the bank and they said the collector shouldn't be attempting to collect the debt since it was included in my mother's bankruptcy, but the debt collector insists that just means they can't collect it from her. Can they keep trying to collect from me if this account was in my mother's name?

Not if you were a minor at the time of the account. Contact a consumer law attorney that practices in your state and sue this company. Kimmel and Silverman is a great group of attorneys that deal with FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) if they practice in your state. If not I am sure there are other good consumer law attorneys in your state that will be ready and willing to help. The best news is, that many consumer law attorneys work on contingency in cases like this, meaning that you pay nothing up front and only have to pay if you win your case.