Question

chet8504

Collections agency removing from report and sending back to original creditor for validation
I called a collections agency listed on my credit report and tried to do a pay for delete. I mentioned that I was not affirming the debt and disputing its validity, but that it was hurting my credit and I wished to have it removed and would pay in full. They individual said they could not remove it and moved me to a supervisor when I asked. He said he would send the request for it to be removed in 7 days, but it would go back to the original creditor and, if validated, be added back to the report. This was all done via phone and he would not send this in letter form.

What are my options? Can I pay it with the original creditor? How would I know if it's actually removed? Is it possible the original creditor sends validation before it's removed from the credit bureaus, so my paying would $0 it out, but have it posted still?

It won't go back to the original credito

Which makes no sense.  A collection agency Buys the debts,  Once its in their hands the original creditor no longer has any legal right to collect nor do they have any responsiblity for the debt.

All such negotiating should be done by mail. Over the phone they can promise you the moon in order to collect a payment, but have no responsibility to actually follow through with any promises. The supervisor can say they will remove in 7 days, but once he has your payment, his job is done and you have no legal right to force them to report if they don't follow through.  If its in writng, You could sue them in court for not doing as they promised. 

Validating the debt is your first step. Google "Validation Letter" for a template.  It does not go to the orginal creditor for validation as the guy you spoke to said. It goes to the collection agency to see if the original creditor provided the proper paperwork, if so the debt would be validated,  if not then the collection agency must remove the account.

once its validated, Google "Offer and compromise" and "negotiating Debt settlement" for more info. Hand write letters, (they have computers that read and automaticly reject typed letters as frivolous)  Put it in your own words and address to the "collections manager" of the collection agency. 

Never talk to them on the phone, the agents have no power to do anything but collect a payment, Same with the Supervisors. Plus they will tell you anything to get a payment but have no responsibity to follow through. 

chet8504

The agency is reporting on behalf of the original creditor.  I called the original creditor today and they verified that they own the debt and the collections agency is one that they have been using.  

The agency claimed they would remove it, send it back to OC for validation, but when OC validates it, then they will repost.  How can I find out the quickest when/if it is removed from my report?  If it's removed, I find out, and I pay the original creditor - can the collection agency repost it and list it as "paid in full"?