Question

confusedparent

co-signing kids credit cards
cosigned for kids credit cards while in college, now I want to get off.Do they have to take me off or can I contact the company to get off? If they're maxing their cards out will getting off of theirs help my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

That may be a problem.  When the creditor granted the cards, it was obviously contingent upon your income as well, so I really don't think they'll be willing to let you off the hook, especially since the cards are being maxed out.  You're a better bet than your kids (no offense), so I seriously doubt they'll be willing to do that for you.  Hope like heck they get the cards paid off and close them, then get cards in their own names.  Yes, getting you off will help your credit score.  You can always call the lenders and find out what their policies and procedures are for your scenario, it never hurts to try and they may have a solution for you.  Best of luck!