Question

cosignernightmare1

co signer on a rental agreement
I cosigned on a rental agreement for my mother back in 2013. She neglected to informed me that she had moved out, breaking the lease and leaving a past due balance ( she and I live in different states and really have no contact). I was never informed that she had not paid her balance and that this account was placed in collection. I found out per my credit report that this account exist and is still open.

I have now looked into what the SOL for rental agreements are in California, and it appears to be four years. My mother has no plans on playing her this bill,so therefore I am stuck with the problem.

I guess what my question is; will this fall off my report next year because of the SOL, or will this continue to stay on my report? Or since i cosigned for this, is there a way to dispute it?

Most Helpful Response

Statute Of Limitations (SOL) is referring to the length of time the creditors can sued you for that debt. It's independent from the length of time it can be on your credit report. For collections? It can be included on your credit report for 7 years plus 180 days from Date Of First Delinquency per FCRA 605 (c)(1). You are free to roll the dice and dispute it, you might get lucky and they remove it, however, it doesn't mean the debt is discharged or gone, the liability to a debt isn't dependent whether it's on your credit report or not.