Question

1coronawithlime

Closing newer revolving accounts
So if opening new accounts hurts your average age of accounts opened, then would closing out a newer account then help he average go back up. I'm assuming the new account not being factored in would raise the average thus helping. I see where the average age of accounts is a moderate score factor so is it even worth worrying about?

Most Helpful Response

Not black & white, but you have a point

So your logic doesn't seem to be completely incorrect to me. I've played around with opening and closing multiple store credit cards in the past and from my personal experience (not to project this to everyone's case), my credit score did not decrease more than 25 points. Originally, my score was in the 720-750 range. I had 2 credit cards open both for more than 5 years each. I decided to open a Target Redcard, a Lord & Taylor card, and a Delta Skymiles card. I used them to get free miles and discounts off large purchases. I then closed all 3 at the 1 year mark. My credit score dropped ~25 points becuase I had 3 hard inquires that year. But the age of my credit history also dropped SIGNFICANTLY because now I had 5 credit cards with 3 of them being brand new. When I closed all 3 cards, my scores didn't decrease but they also didn't increase. Only after the hard inquiries went away (at the 2 year mark) did my credit score increase again. I also have a number of friends who say they time opening new credit cards (for freebies) and closing them, and this doesn't affect their credit score. I guess some have mastered the game (there are a whole lot of blogs about this) to their advantage! 

You are confused on how it works. Closing new accounts would NOT undo the damage from the new account. Leave them open, closing them would most likely do further harm to your credit. Read as much as you need to about credit to understand it before you try to make any type of changes to your credit. Any questions along the way, feel free to ask.