Question

apple5auce

Closing new, unused accounts?
I have a very good credit score, but since it can always be better, I'm looking for ways to improve. My worst category according to CreditKarma is the average age of my accounts, which is about 4 years and change. I have about 4 accounts opened in the past year. I'm considering closing one or two of these to increase my average account age.

Will closing these accounts to improve my average account age help my credit score? Are there any adverse affects I might be missing? (I have single-digit credit utilization, so I don't have to worry about the decrease in my credit available.)

Most Helpful Response

Don't close them

Just because you close them, it doesn't mean that they will disappear and not count against your AAoA.

^^^^This is the correct answer, whomever found it unhelpful is a fool.

You would have a decrease in the TOTAL amount of credit available and that can hurt your credit score.  Just use the accounts wisely and try not popening any more until these have aged out quite well.  My "age" score is in the poor category but the other factors have carried more weight so that I can make needed major purchases as needed, like a car, finally!