Question

Zer0187

Closing new credit card accounts
Hello,

All my credit categories are in good standing except for Age of Credit History which shows "Very Poor". I've had a credit card for about 1 year and 4 months, and just opened up 2 new cards so I could get the sign up bonuses.

My question is, once I get the sign up bonuses, can I go ahead and close the 2 new cards without any real impact on my score?

From the Credit Karma website:

"We calculated your age of credit history by averaging the ages of your open credit accounts."

This leads me to believe that the age of closed account isn't a factor, and therefore my credit score should go up once I close the 2 new accounts. Are these assumptions correct?

Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

DO NOT CLOSE THE ACCOUNTS!!!!!!!!   The damage has been done as far as age of accounts.  Once you opened them they will stay on your reports so closeing them will have no affect upon your scores.  Go ahead and enjoy your new credit cards and let them age also.  There is no shortcut to AAOA.

Zer0187

Thanks for your reply. I guess the Credit Karma calculation is misleading, as they seem to only average in Open accounts.. I will keep my accounts open for now.