Question

zaydie

Closing my credit card account, will it lower my credit score?
I have just paid off my credit card debt and don't know what would happen to my credit score if I should close the account? My current credit card has a high interest rate which is why I want to close that account and open a new credit card account with a much lower interest rate? Any suggestions?

Most Helpful Response

Keep it open

Even if you don't use it, it is good for your credit to keep it open because it shows credit history. That is important for future cards and loans. If you have an annual fee, you may want consider closing it, but you will lower your score for a few months. If you never had any late payments to that card, ever, my suggestion to you might be to apply for your new 'no annual fee' card and then close the old one. If you get it, wait until it gets close to your annual fee date of the other card and then close it. You will always lose active credit history when you close a card, though.