Question

SpringJennifer

Closing credit cards?
I have five credit cards and was wondering which might be okay to close.
1- US Bank card with $500 limit, 4 years old
2- Lane Bryant card with $750 limit, 3 years old
3-Chase Slate card with $500 limit, 1 year old
4- Walmart store card with $600 limit, less than 1 year old
5- Discover card with $4,500 limit, less than 1 year old
I was thinking about closing both the Walmart and Lane Bryant cards, because I don't use them often and it might look better to have less cards open? I want to leave the US bank card alone because it's the oldest. And I'll product change the Chase card to earn rewards so I want that one open. And the Discover card is the best of all of them, so that one's staying open, too. Would closing the two accounts likely affect me negatively? If so, I'll just keep them open and use them occasionally to avoid bank closure.

Most Helpful Response

Closing out the Lane Bryant and Walmart card won't hurt your credit score since either one isn't your oldest card and as long as the rest of your cards are under 20% utilization your score will be fine best of luck and have you tried to get the limit on the US bank card increased given you had it for 4 years $500 isn't much 1 fil-up of gas and you need to put that sucker away but I know the feeling I have a cap 1 card with $750 limit buy a pizza on it once every 3 months and away it goes but it was my first card and after getting turned down for everything discover sunco lowes walmart pnc hell my own bank even when I had 20k in savings I know have 3 ccards 2 cap 1's 750 and 3000 and bofa 3000