Question

jmgroover0731

Closing a delinquent account vs. making smaller payments
I have missed 3 payments on two Capital One cards (life happens), and both of the accounts are now delinquent. My credit score went from being 595 to 470. That's a serious hit, which is understandable, as I was not responsible and couldn't make my payments. I'm considering closing both accounts, as I feel like I will never be able to get them back in good standing. Is closing them going to hugely impact my credit score (again) or is it the right thing to do? I am young (23) and do not want to ruin my credit any more than it has already been ruined. These accounts are also only 5 months old, so they are relatively new. Advice?

Don't close!

Closing will really hurt your credit score and you still have to pay the accounts anyway.  Consider searching Dave Ramsey's site for information on how to resolve debt, possibly negotiating smaller payments.  The accounts are too new to just ignore, and you could get sued for the balance due.  Just get to work on making payments because that is the responsible thing to do.  Also, re-read the articles on this site to better understand how to use credit.  You are young enough to turn this situation around to yours and their mutual benefit.