Question

BFRUECHTENICHT

Closing a credit card...
I have a RETAIL credit card that i opened Nov 2009... I have since paid it in full (it was one of those no interest for three years on furniture type deals) and i was wonder if i close this account will it negatively affect my credit score? I was hoping it would not since it is RETAIL and not a Visa/MC/Discover endorsed card. I know closing a card hurts the score but I was thinking retail accounts hurt more being open than closing it out. Can anyone help?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, it would hurt your score a bit (though no one can say how much, since there are too many variables). Since it's a relatively new card, if you really hate having it and never intend to use it again, you might want to close it for personal reasons. But for the sake of your score, it's generally best to keep it.