Question

EJCN4

Closing 2 year old credit card used to establish credit
Card had a low balance since it was used to re-establish credit. Credit score is now much higher and I'm thinking about obtaining a card with a better rate and higher limit. Also, I had a late payment on the old card. Wonder if it would benefit or hurt my score drastically. Any thoughts.

Closing the account won't make that late payment go away--it will still be there until the account itself falls off completely years from now. Closing it won't affect the age of your accounts any since closed accounts are factored in as well as open ones, but I would keep it open for two reasons: It increases your available credit and therefore probably decreases your utilization, and if you're working on reestablishing credit you need to have a decent number of open trade lines in good standing. It doesn't have to be your main card if you don't have much use for it, but do keep it open and use it occasionally, at least for now. 

EJCN4

Thank you. I now qualify for credit cards with much better rates as my score is now above 690. Would you suggest I apply for a new credit card which would most likely provide a higher credit balance?

Don't close the card and yes try to get another one. Check the "preapprovals" on credit card websites, some are accurate and some are not. Do some research on which ones are accurate. Capital One, Chase, AMEX all have pretty accurate preapprovals.