Question

thaz202

Closed cards in the past, now what?
I have had a line of credit for around a decade now. Got my first card at 18 and knew nothing about what a credit score is. Over the years I've opened card accounts, paid them off, got new cards, paid off, then closed them. Finally wised up and checked my credit report and it says I have 12 accounts! All but 3 have been closed, the 3 I currently use and keep. The other 9 have all been paid in full and closed. Looking back on it that wasn't a good idea but mistakes are made now I need to fix my mistakes and move forward.

Will having 9 closed accounts on my credit score harm my credit? If they are, how do I get them removed? Now that I have a nice stable job with a great future it would be the perfect time to get a grip on my credit. I'm a 660

Accounts that are already closed wont impact your credit, but if you close any existing open accounts, your scores could fall further or even disappear altogether by becoming "thin file". Keep accounts in good standing open even if you don't use them often. The open credit lines will help keep your credit card utilization lower. Closed accounts should eventually fall off your credit after 7-10 years.