Question

champ989

Closed as derogatory - Anything I can do to raise credit score?
Looking to buy a house, FICO score is 621 and Creidt Karma score is 690 (But it's for some reason missing the closed as derogatory)

I called the credit card company (Capital one) they said they closed the account as derogatory back in 2013 and they were no longer accepting payments for it... I was told I could 'donate' money to pay off the debt but it would not come off my credit report, it would show as $0 balance instead of $1000 something... Is that even worth it? Is there another way I could go about getting this removed from my credit report?

Also is a 620 FICO score good enough for a first time home buyer with the 3.5% down FHA loan..

As far as getting Capital One to remove something, it probably will not happen. As far as paying off the balance owed, it would help. It would reduce credit utilization and look better under manual review of your credit reports. Keep in mind though, that if the account has not updated for a while, whatever changes you make to it will cause it to update and may cause some harm because the negative account will look fresh, but the reduction of credit utilization may cancel that out. Regardless, paying it off would help in the long run. You should be concerned that the account will go to a collection company and a collection will pop up on your credit reports for the debt. My advice is to pay it if you can get Capital One to accept the payment. If they will not accept the payment then you should find out what collection company that they sold the debt to and contact and pay them before they put it on your reports. Make sure the collection company agrees to not put the account on your reports in exchange for you paying the account in full. Keep in mind a collection company will keep adding money to the debt as well. I am not sure if your current score will be satisfactory or not, more than scores go into lender's decisions. One of the best things that you can do at this point is to read, read and read everything that you can about credit and all that comes along with it.