Question

auntiejg

close credit cards?
I have 5 credit cards, 4 have zero balance. Should I close the accounts I'm not using. Credit score only 712. Thanks.

No!!No!!No!!

Keep the cards and use them once in a while to keep them active.  The amount of AVAILABLE credit on your credit score is very important!! If you closed those cards, you would lose the credit limits on the cards as available credit and your credit score will drop.

Don't believe it??  Run the credit simulator and find out now.  It'll show it instead of you finding out the hard way by closing the cards then finding your credit score takes a nose-dive and you can't undo the mistake.

Most Helpful Response

It's not just a matter of whether you're using a card when you're considering closing.  Utilization, as stated earlier, is a major factor to consider.  If your 5 cards each have a $1,000 limit and one has a $500 balance with the remaining 4 at $0 your utilization would be ($500+$0+$0+$0+$0) / ($1,000+$1,000+$1,000+$1,000+$1,000) or 10% which isn't bad.  Close those 4 cards with a $0 balance and your utilization would be $500/$1,000 = 50% which isn't good and is quite a bit over the 30% recommended max.  Always do the math to determine the impact on utilization before making such decisions.

Also consider the age of your accounts.  While closed accounts in good standing remain for 10 years, part of your score is based on average age of account and it helps to have old accounts.

won't close cards

Thank you, that does make sense now.

closing credit card

I am being charged $39.00 per year to keep a card, I want to close the account, but I don't know if it will hurt my credit rating!

stasus says credit card closed should i still pay on it