Question

MikeyrInFL

Close Credit Card Account?
I have a Capital One credit card account that I've had since 9/1998. My oldest credit card was opened in 1988. This card was issued to me and my now ex-wife. We divorced a couple of years ago. They say they can not delete her from the account because she was a co-applicant.

OPTION 1: Their option is for me to cancel and reapply for a new account.

OPTION 2: They have advised me that they are issuing me new cards with a new account number because of the Home Depot hacking fiasco. What will happen to my credit score if I just never activate the replacement card? Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice!

Well if it were me I would close the account, BUT ( big but ) would apply for a new Card before closing and stess on the call that you want to keep the open date of 9/1998,  talk to a supervisor or someone.  With an account that old try to do everything in your powers to keep the older open date on the new account.

If you are on speaking terms with your ex it would be best to tell here that you are closing the joint account and her Credit score might take a small hit when you do it. ( close the account the same day if you do inform them )