Question

Creditnewb89

Claiming fraud on a family member
My mom opened a credit card in my name in 2007. She maxed it out at 3000 and let it go to collections. In 2010 she settled the debt for less than what was owed. Even though the account has been settled and closed, it looks terrible on my credit. I found out about this card semi recently and found out the only way I can claim fraud against a family member is to press charges. My question is how much will this improve my credit score if I go through with pressing charges. If it is only going to slightly help, it is not worth it to me to slap a felony charge on my mother. However, if it is going to drastically improve it, I will look into following through.

I know it wasn't right of your mother to do this, but maybe she had to, to support you (unless she did it to just buy some useless electronics).  I mean, I understand why she might have done this, and I don't think you should press charges, just make sure she knows you are not okay with her doing that again, and try opening a few credit cards to slowly raise your score.  But, it will drastically improve your credit score having the fraudulant account removed from your history, provided you will still have some credit history.