Question

whygodwhy

CK suggests that I should apply for Citi Diamond Preferred Card but I already got declined! Why??
I got a pre-approved mail for Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card. Interestingly, Credit Karma throws a suggestion on my homepage to apply for this credit card (as I have good chances of getting it apparently). Gaining some confidence, I did apply for it. And to my utter shock and disappointment, I was declined... adding a hard enquiry to my credit history.

I kind of know now that these pre-approved mails are sham. But I wanna know and understand why is CK still suggesting me to go ahead and apply for this card?? This is like rubbing salt to my wounds.

Citi Diamond is an advertiser. CK is really not making the offer, just telling you that the possibility exists that you may get approved. Sometimes, responding to a mail offer is not the same a responding to an offer on a partner site, like CK. You might have been approved if your application had been received through the referral service, but I would probably not try it again. Have you called them? Sometimes you can talk your way into a small credit line with them even after a rejection.

Thanks for the reply! Well, yes, I did call the number mentioned in that pre-approved mail but the lady told me that they were sorry that my credit application was declined.

Is there a backdoor number for Citi that can reconsider my application and approve it ??

I called and explained why I had 3 hard inquiries and that I closely track my credit report.  I explained that I am not making any large purchases and that I am only opening 2 more accounts to increase my number of accounts.  The citi rep sounded confused.  She told me to call experian and get my credit report with details to clarify or fight my hard inquiries.  I again explained I know what they are from, asking if she means Citi needs to get the details, and she confused repeated that I should call experian to find out why I have hard inquiries.  I have a 741 Credit Karma score, I have no delinquent payments or anything, the only weak point of my credit profile is average account age and number of accounts.   

I called in to Citi as an educated consumer who is very on top of his credit profile and I got absolutely nowhere and a rep who wasnt sure what she was doing.

Amount approved for

CK Recc, a Capital one card to pay off balances owed and save 5500.00.  I was only approved for 1000.00, not only is that not enough but now I have another 1000.00 credit on my report