Question

LucasBN

Civil Judgment: Contractually Liable Debt. What do I do?
In April 2013 I entered a lease with my room mate, and his grand mother. Within 2 months things didn't work out and my room mate kicked me out. He then promised that my name would be signed off the lease. I recently pulled my credit reports and see that I now have a professional judgement (Civil Court) from the apartment complex we were living in with all 3 of our names listed as plaintiffs. Do I have any legal right here to have this removed? If I do pay this in full can I go after the ex room mate and grand mother for restitution? Also if I pay this in full, will it be removed from my credit report?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will happily pay the balance in full if I know it will be gone off my credit report.

Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Write to all three bureaus and ask them to provide you proof of service, don't know if it will work but worth a try.  Don't know if you have any legal recourse, you'll need to consult a lawyer.  Once you are on a lease, you're on it until the lease expires or you get something IN WRITING from the leasing company stating you are off it.  Doubt if you can go after the roomate & grandmother.  Even if you pay off the judgment, it will stay on your report, but will show as "released" or "paid", which is slightly better than unpaid.  Sorry this happened to you, tough way to learn a lesson.

LucasBN

Would I be writing a dispute to all three credit bureaus? And if so what exactly would I be asking. I have never had anything like this happen at all and I do not even know where to start. Thank you again for your help. Also if and when I do pay, should I be contacting the apartment management or the courts that the judgement was filed through?

LucasBN

An update to my previous reply. My biggest question is would i be writing it as a 'DISPUTE' or would I just simple write a letter saying, 'I am requesting proof of service'. And if so what exactly am I looking for in response?