Posted in Banking

Checking account for someone with a "work only" SSN & no credit history
I have a "work only" SSN, and I'm trying to open a checking account. I tried opening one with (because I'm also looking for one with no fees or minimum balance requirements), and they denied me straight away because my SSN is designated "work only". It seems as though there was no hard inquiry on my credit rating though.

I also have no credit history. I was denied for a Capital One secured credit card for this reason - the letter I received explaining the denial listed all 3 credit rating agencies as - "credit bureau information is missing or unavailable ".

I now have an AT&T post-paid account in my name, but I need to get a checking account started to further establish myself in the system. So I'm looking for a checking account, preferably with no fees or minimum balance, like the Capital One 360 Checking Account, but it's unclear to me whether my "work only" SSN will also be an issue for them.

So - does anyone know of checking accounts (preferably with no fees or minimum balance requirements) which will accept someone with a "work only" SSN and no credit history?