Question

HelpinNY

charged off credit card doesn't show on credit report
I have been contacted by debt collectors and even sued because of a credit card that I wasn't able to pay (life changes). I wanted to check and see what my credit report said about this credit card. Such as; the actual amount owed, date of last payment, etc. The statute of limitations I believe was up on it, but I want to get this resolved and get my life back together. Any reason why this doesn't show up on the credit report even though I am still being harassed by debt collectors? Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

The account has probably fallen off your report. Charge offs only stay on your report for 7 years from the first time you missed a payment leading to the charge off. Now, just because it has fallen off of your reports it doesn't mean that the debt is no longer owed, it just means that they can't report it to the bureaus any longer. Also it is most likely that the statute of limitations for them to sue you for the debt has expired. If they are harassing you about this old debt contact a consumer law attorney. Do not under any circumstances agree to a payment plan with the debt collector on this account because you will create a potential to restart the clock on everything.

Also I want to add, you can send them a "Cease & Desist Letter" google information about that. Also review the FDCPA "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" and see if these collectors are violating your rights, if they are, they may end up owing you.