Charged off Chase acct 10 years ago...Should I apply for new card?
Please reply if you have actual experience with this--either Chase or another company.

Looking at an Amazon card that is through Chase but I am afraid to apply. Here's why: In 2004-5 I defaulted on a Chase account (and several others). All of my credit card account balances ended up being charged off and I was pursued by collection agencies. I never responded to any collection attempts as I had no income. Finally got back on my feet. Now I have one secured card and one non-secured card. Transunion is 715, FICO is 780. My Transunion report shows no collections or non-payments. It is totally clear except that my credit history only goes back about 22 months.

Even though my credit report is clear, if I apply for the Amazon card, does Chase maintain records that they charged off my account and will that come back to hurt me? I'm afraid that they do and so if I apply they will reopen all sorts of inquiries and problems that will then show up on my report. Maybe they will even resell my debt to another collection agency and that will show up on my credit report. My instinct is to leave it alone, to just continue to work with banks where I did not have any defaults. Is that the best thing to do? Has anyone had a positive experience of applying for a credit card with a bank that you've defaulted with but the information has aged off your credit report?

Thanks for reading all the details. Wanted my situation to be clear. I've searched on CK and haven't found my problem described.

Most Helpful Response

Charge Off

You may or may not be denied. Simiular thing happen to me but was able to get a new Chase card. They cannot come after you using the court system because to much time has passed. Each state allows a certain amount of time that you can be sued from a creditor. It also cannot be put back on your credit report because it can only be there for 7 years from the default date.

How much was the default?

That is probably the real factor.

Update on Amazon Chase

Just wondering if you were able to open the Amaxon account through Chase?

I wouldn't try applying if I were you. Chase most definitely would keep a record and it's more than likely that you'd be auto denied. It can't go back on your credit score, but they can still contact you regarding the old debt.

NOTE: I have never been a Chase card holder or customer.