Question

cbrucato

Charged-off Cap1 then got another Cap1, would they drop old charge-off if I dispute it?
I had a Cap1 that went to Charge-off a few yrs ago. Since, then I worked on bringing my credit up. Credit Karma advice suggested select cards, Cap1 being one of them. Although, I was hesitant because I knew I had basically screwed them in the past I was not sure they would give me a card again. It wasn't until I read the advice of someone else that said he got a card even after he had a charged off acct with them.

Anyway, long story short I applied and got the card. I was hoping someone could tell me; if I was doing good paying this card now, can I dispute the old chargeoff in hopes they would see I'm being responsible now and they delete it? I'm sure I know the answer already but was curious if they would delete it because I'm being responsible and if I write a sob story saying I'm trying to do good bla, bla, bla. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

No disputing truth.

The only things you can dispute are absolutely wrong entries.  You said it was your card that went into charge-off status.  That is part of your credit history and will fall off 7 years from date of charge-off, not before.  The time frame is set by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which is a federal regulation.