Question

fmonaco48021

Charged off bad debt loss write-off Do I still need to pay that?
I have a closed account on my credit report that the creditor closed with this remark: Charged off as bad debt
Profit and loss write-off. Will they still come after me?

Most Helpful Response

They can sell your info to another collections agency and the new company can come after you...... If it is a small amount; try to get it paid off with a reduced price settlement...

Find out what the "Statute of Limitations" is to be sued for debt, this will affect the decision for you to make on how to proceed. If the debt is within the SOL to be sued, then you may want to get it taken care of asap before a collection account pops up in addition to the charged off account. Please ask a new question stating the age of the debt and the SOL in your state to be given further advice on how to proceed.

New can of worms

I thought I read that if you engage a creditor or collection agency concerning debt that has been written off, it starts the clock over again...and now it looks like fresh debt that could "again" influence your score AND could be written off or sent to collections "again"... is this true?

They charged it off as a bad debt because you apparently weren't paying it, but you still owe them.  They 'loaned' you the money when you bought on credit, and you received the benefit.

PushingTin

I get that sister...that wasnt the question though.  The question concerned the regulatory ability of a second party opening the issue again after you already took the "hit' on your credt score once.

And I do not see where that was answered here in the thread.