Question

palmtrees26

Charged off a loan again
I had a loan charged off before 2014 through OneMain Financial but were on report as closed and score finally going up again. They recently merged with Springleaf to just be OneMain. Well they took the off charge off as purchased by another lender and "sold" it to themselves, opened it up, charged it off again, and closed it in February 2017 which dropped my credit 140 points in the blink of an eye. Even said I have made recent payments which I haven't. So now it looks like I just defaulted again and have a new charge off not an old one. Can they do this?

They cannot legally do this. Once the account is charged off it cannot be reopened and then charged off again. They are not allowed to report that you've made payments when you did not. You need to contact a consumer lawyer about this. You may want to check with an FDCPA (fair debt collections practices act) law firm, the FDCPA only applies to debt collectors, but the attorneys that work this area will be the best to handle things like this. Many attorneys will give free consultations. Keep record of everything and contact an attorney right away.