Question

jrick3188

Charge offs accounts
I have approximately 20 credit cards that are either charged off or in collections. My goals is to start paying them off. I want to pay them off but in return I would like them removed or at the least updated with a paid status. Where is a good place to start and what is a good method to tackle this big mess. Is it best to start with the lowest amount or highest interest rate. After they are all paid off or nearly what is a good way to increase my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Tackle the newest ones first, because they are doing the most damage to your score.  The older the account is the less damage it is doing.   If you can get them to agree in writing to delete the account from your report once it is paid, then great.  If not, at least a paid collection is less damaging than an unpaid one.  And remember, all these accounts will fall off your credit report 7 & 1/2 years from the date they went delinquent, so if some are getting close to that age you  may want to wait it out before paying them.  Best of luck!