Question

TNM711

Chapter 7 bankruptcy
How long until a chapter 7 bankruptcy fall off your credit report?

Most Helpful Response

A ch7 won't come off for 10 years after filing, but if you acquire new creditors, and pay on time, then the impact of the CH7 on your credit will lessen after 2-3 years. I know this for a fact because I got 2 new cars and 3 credit cards within 1 month of being discharged, pay them on time, and my score went from 499 (July '13) to 622 (Nov '13). Both FICO. So it isn't the death sentence that people proclaim. But continuing your old habits after will be! I expect my score to be above 700 within 1 year of filing. Good luck to you doing the same.

rchavers36

Thanx

williedee39

Thanks

switchman70

I can attest to this, 519 in may 2012, Chap 7 discharged August 2012.  Current TU FICO 646, new mortgage, 9 credit cards, auto loan, all from following CK advice and paying my bills on time.

Bankruptcy

The bankruptcy falls off ten years from filing,  not the discharge.  

Bankruptcy

It has been eight years since I filed Chapter 7 and its still on my report. I was told by the credit bureau that it falls off after 10 years so thats 2015

inquiry removed

How do you get a inquiry removed if you did not ask for the credi

switchman70

you have to dispute it online with the CRA

Ten years from date of approval.

initdeep69

A Chapter 13 does not fall off for 10 years from the date of court approval/filing.

I need advice on filling for chapter 7

I have a lot of medical bills, no credit card debt. No personal loan debt and one car loan account that's closed derogatory. What is my best option.

Ten years vs seven years

I have been out of Chapter 7 bankruptcy for almost 8 years now.  My attorney told me the public record would go away after 7 years, but the credit reporting agencies tell me ten years.  We filed shortly before the new bankruptcy laws went into effect.  Was my attorney just plain wrong, or did the new law change the reporting time period?

switchman70

it's definitely 10 years, has been both times I filed, so I would guess the attorney gave you incorrect info, or you heard him incorrectly.  Most derogatory info falls off after 7 years, but public records such as BK or tax liens is usually 10 years.

initdeep69

A Chapter 13 falls off 10 years from the date of final recording. Not sure about a 7.

crysyal2174"s im 38m on ssi

how and war do i go to file this stuf. pro se

switchman70

federal bankruptcy court for your district.  I filed pro se and save big $$.

Also, based on your income, you may qualify for a filing fee waiver.