Question

mumbleram

Cc was comprised and now over the limit, how much will that affect my score?
There were fraudulent chargers on my cc that made it over the limit. It's currently under investigation, however we are trying to buy a house and having that negative affect on my score is going to hurt. But, how much? How many points does going over your limit cost you, even IF you're not to blame? My cc company said they still have to report it to the bureaus.

Most Helpful Response

Umm, if your card was compromised: did you file an identity theft report, file a police report, and similar? As policy, most card companies (and banks, etc) will write off the unauthorized charges with no hit on your credit reports. However, *you* have to file the paperwork and do due diligence in regards to that.

mumbleram

I asked for paperwork to be sent and I have yet to receive it. I was told no later than Dec 10th, which is tomorrow. However this cc company seems very sketchy to me. It was originally opened to help improve my score, but once this nonsense is over I may close the account.

Random789644

Just be certain to do your part of it - and be double-certain to send all correspondence *and* copies of the police report to them by certified mail (or if you can swing it, overnight the paperwork with signature verification). It'll cost a bit, but way cheaper than being on the hook for all those charges. 

"Cc was comprised and now over the limit, how much will that affect my score?" - Nobody knows.

" But, how much?" - Nobody knows.

"How many points does going over your limit cost you, even IF you're not to blame?"  Nobody knows,  and it does not matter if you are not to blame.